Monday, April 12, 2010

Little Easter, Part 1

Today is "Little Easter," the day when everyone goes to Comrat's main cemetery to celebrate the dead. It's like Dia de los Muertos without the skull heads. I took some pictures for my own little photo documentary.



People walking to the cemetery. With all the cars piled up it looks like parking for a Cubs spring training game at HoHoKam Stadium.



People plant flowers, especially tulips, on the graves.



As you can see, the cemetery was abuzz with people. I think everyone in Comrat was there.




The graves usually have little fences around them, but I'm not sure why.


Here we have the priest doing a ceremony. I think he was blessing the holy water. It took over an hour.



The ladies from the choir singing.



The holy water, soon to be doused on everyone.



Food waiting to be blessed. I brought a little cake and that got blessed too!





Everyone lined up along the main drag of the cemetery, waiting for the priest to come and bless their food. It was sort of like a parade route.
End of part 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment