Thursday, April 1, 2010

Apartments


An interesting fact I found out from talking to the European volunteers here is that landlords and -ladies have the legal right to come into the apartment you are renting from them at any time.

Luckily, my landlord understands the idea of privacy and always lets me know when he needs to come by and arranges a time when we can both be there. And anyways I have a chain on the second door (why do all Soviet apartments have multiple doors? for this reason?) so it's cool.

Unfortunately, a lot of the European volunteers have had serious issues with unannounced visits from landladies, who then pitch a fit about (of all things) unwashed dishes in the sink. Of all the things that will cause permanent damage to an apartment, unwashed dishes are definitely not one of them. (Thank goodness the Goode family, my AZ condo landlords, didn't have this rule!) It's such a weird concept that it's actually acceptable for someone to come into your home and tell you how much you should be cleaning. Very different mindset than in the U.S.

I can see that landlords and -ladies might want to have this control because in Moldova the whole idea of an advance damage deposit wouldn't work. Who would enforce the return of the money? Everything is so informal here, and good luck going to the cops. (Brief tangent: The market right across from the police station in Comrat was robbed last year. As one of my colleagues said, "This is the shame of our city!") At the same time, if you're not willing to see things in your apartment get a little roughed up...don't rent your apartment!

The strangest thing about this whole situation was the attitude that the European volunteers' organization took to this when one of the current volunteers said they should inform future volunteers about this problem in advance.

"Well, I thought you were all adults and I didn't need to tell you to clean up after yourself."

Ah, parochialism. Something we won't have to worry about disappearing from Moldova any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough my Russian teacher has a double door on her apartment. So does my Kyrgyz friend. Those are the only two double doors I have seen in China. I think they're a holdover from the wild days of the 1990s when crime was out of control. I guess it is hard to adapt to that not being the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But finally I became an adult and I started to clean after myself.:)

    ReplyDelete