Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Polyglot


A few months ago, my friend Derek posted on his blog about a homework assignment for his English class: If you were a polyglot, which 10 languages would you want to know and why? It sounded like a good idea, so I thought I’d make my own list.

English

This kind of has to be on anyone’s list. Even if it wasn’t the international language, it provides access to great culture: everything from the Red Hot Chili Peppers to Jane Austen to The Wire.


Russian

I guess this is like a no-brainer for me, considering that I study the former Soviet Union, but I want to point out also that knowing Russian gives you access to a vast wealth of poetry, novels, and ‘90s rock music. Furthermore, the initial reason I started studying Russian was for travel, and it has infinitely rewarded me in that regard. Russian can get you everywhere from Central Asia to Lithuania.


Spanish

I continue to be embarrassed by the fact that I grew up in Arizona and don’t know Spanish. Spanish seems like it would just be useful for any self-respecting resident of the Southwest (and Mexican food fanatic). I’m also just tired of seeing signs for things like Botas y Ropas and thinking the store sells boats and rope. (It took me a long time to figure out llanteria too.)


Armenian

I feel like every list should have a spot for an obscure yet amazing language. I feel like I learned grammar from Armenian. Its grammar is just so flexible and fun, and the words are incredibly mutable. Plus there’s just something poetic about a language whose idiom for saying “Don’t bore me” is “Don’t take away my head.”


French

I’m not head-over-heels in love with French literature, but I have this belief inherited from reading nineteenth century literature that it is necessary for educated people to know French anyways. 


Turkish/Gagauz

While these aren’t the same language, I think if I mastered one, I could be easily understood by speakers of the other. Turkish grammar is first of all endearing to me because it is similar to Armenian grammar. Turkey is a great place to travel and when foreigners know the language they are treated like kings and queens. Also, as Derek puts it, “What other language can be a gateway to the Middle East, China and Siberian reindeer herders?” Plus, it would be nice to be able to understand Gagauz, which is spoken by people in the region of Gagauzia where I am living for the summer. 


Romanian/Moldovan

I was fairly resentful of Romanian for a long time since people in the U.S. constantly asked me whether or not I spoke Romanian when I said I had been in Moldova. (Then they looked at me like some imperialist when I said I spoke Russian.) Although Russian is absolutely fine for getting around Moldova, since I study the country it would be great to have Romanian for reading and talking to people. Also, it would help me in everyday life. Today at breakfast I didn’t eat some tvorog (a dairy product similar to cottage cheese) because I thought it was crumbled salty cheese due to a misreading of the Romanian on the packet. 


Slovenian

Historical roots, beautiful country, great people. Slovenian is a no-brainer. It would be especially fun to speak it with my grandfather.


Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian

Although I feel I should really put Albanian on the list due to my deep love of Albania and Kosovo (I could seriously work for their tourism bureau), I think BCS allows for more travel around the Balkans, which I continue to maintain is the best place to travel in Europe.


Japanese

To be honest, I was a little saddened by the overall ethnocentric nature of this list and decided to put on an Asian language. Traveling in Japan seems more fun than traveling in China. Although now I’m rethinking this because it would be fun to do comparative communist nationalities policy with the USSR and China! Dammit, I can’t decide.


Honorable mentions: Albanian, Uzbek, Farsi, German

If I were to pick the new language I am most likely to learn next, I would say probably Spanish or Romanian/Moldovan. It depends on where I am going to be living. If Arizona, Spanish, if I’m doing anything related to Moldova, Romanian.

2 comments:

  1. An interesting list. I'm curious as to why you haven't included Esperanto?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOULD LOVE TO SPEAK WITH YOU IN SLOVENIAN . . . YOU COULD TEACH ME SO MUCH. I LOVE WHAT LITTLE I KNOW. IT IS SO EXPRESSIVE AND COMPLEX.

    ReplyDelete