Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Making Language Learning Fun


Over the years, I’ve developed the philosophy that the most effective way to study a foreign language is to have fun while doing it. One of the main reasons I came to Moldova was that I knew it would be a good, fun way to immerse myself in Russian again. Although I’ve learned a tremendous amount from my language classes this past year at Harvard, I needed to put down the flashcards and just practice Russian in the real world. 

Early in the summer I read a post on the blog “All Japanese, All the Time” that inspired me to work towards “having wide standards, not high standards.” One of the main themes of this blog is that people set very high goals for themselves in language learning and then burn out quickly. They set a tough work schedule and then can’t live up to it. The blog post advocates absorbing the language in as many entertaining ways as possible. Even just having the TV on in the background is valuable. And you don’t have to kill yourself trying to understand every word. So I approached this summer in Moldova as a chance to put this philosophy in action.

This is what I do on a daily basis to work on Russian:
  • Speak with host family and acquaintances in Russian
  • Read 10 pages of the Russian classic novel Master and Margarita
  • Work on Russian homework to prepare for my thrice-weekly tutoring sessions in which we discuss the philosophical implications of Master and Margarita
  • Go to city library and read sources for my project in Russian for 1-2 hours
  • Listen to Russian music while walking around the city
  • Watch a bit of Russian TV

The problem with taking such a hardcore approach is that sometimes...you get sick of Russian! Especially considering that Russian is an integral part of my research here, Russian can really feel like...ugh...work. My latest challenge is making my Russian routine more fun.

I used to have an extremely entertaining Russian reading routine: reading Harry Potter. Although it may not compare to Tolstoy in literary value, it makes up for it in sheer entertainment! It’s easy to keep reading when you get to read something with jokes. I remember plowing through sixty pages in a day at the end of the sixth Harry Potter book one day in 2010. While my current reading, Mikhail Bulgakov’s classic satirical critique of Stalinist Russia, is intensely rewarding, it can also be a bit of a chore. The book is extremely funny, but the farcical descriptions can be hard to follow. As anyone who has read Mikhail Bulgakov in any language can tell you, he’s not easy to understand! Nevertheless, I’m determined to keep up with it because it is my life goal to someday become an honorary member of the Russian intelligentsia.

...but I will be relieved to go back to Harry, Hermione and Ron at the end of the summer.

Reading Russian sources at the city library is actually pretty interesting. I always like learning local history. It is nice that my historical research also helps to reinforce my Russian. I’m certainly learning a lot of Russian terms for “state grain requisitioning.” Can’t wait to bust that out with a babushka one day.

Another goal of mine for the summer is to turn my iPod into a Russian learning machine. Since it takes me about fifteen minutes to walk into town from my house, I have to listen to something or be bored out of my mind. First I was listening to the awesome podcast “A Taste of Russian,” but they’re a little bit easy for me now. 

Then I switched to listening to my extensive collection of my favorite Russian rock group DDT on random. I consider DDT to be something of a Russian Pearl Jam. They started making music in the ‘80s and became extremely popular in the mid-‘90s. Their lyrics are sometimes philosophical, sometimes political, sometimes incomprehensible. The lead singer Yurii Shevchuk reminds me of a teddy bear. He is certainly the most lovable member of the political opposition to Putin. 


Don't you just want to hug him?
I stole this picture of Yurii Shevchuk from Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.


Anyways, listening to DDT is great language practice, but after 2 weeks of straight DDT I needed a break. Luckily my Fulbright friend Adam Julian (you can read his Gagauzia blog here) saved the day by providing me his extremely comprehensive stash of MP3s from Kino, another classic Russian rock group from the ‘80s. This is helpful not just from a language standpoint, but also a cultural standpoint. The late lead singer of Kino, Victor Tsoi, is a cult figure in Russia and Kino’s fans collect home recordings of Kino recordings à la Deadheads. Knowing Kino should be a good way to connect with people.

Finally, I’ve decided to take the plunge into the world of Russian podcasting. iTunes and the Russian site podFM.ru have been pretty helpful. So far I’ve found an entertaining Russian movie review podcast with the amusing title “Inglorious Film Critics.” I’m also checking out ArbatPodcast, which consists of 3 Russian guys sitting around and complaining in a cafe on the Arbat in Moscow every week. The translation of the description of the podcast on iTunes was pretty inspired:


Three friends-grumblers every Sunday, going early Sunday morning in Moscow, Old Arbat, and sip tea in one of the Arbat caffe. Sit, enjoy green tea on a Sunday early in the Arbat morning, while grumbling. Always something it's not okay. Always they are all trying to make out the bones, they are always shoved his nose everywhere.


So those are my language learning strategies right now. Anyone with additional suggestions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment