Thursday, December 3, 2009

In the Trenches

I've been having a pretty crazy week as the result of insane amounts of class, but I thought I'd bullet point some highlights while I have a spare moment:

  • Amazing breakfast on Monday at Melek's house (my Turkish teacher). Also, a fun Turkish lesson.
  • Trying to explain the agony of ASU's loss of the Territorial Cup to a student.
  • Teaching students about the concept of "hair of the dog."
  • Great lesson on Shakespeare's Sonnet #130 on Monday.
  • Listening to Jimmy Eat World's "Work" on the way to work.
  • Somehow, one of my students knew about the Arizona Wildcats when I said I was from Arizona. This is actually sort of a lowlight (still sensitive after our crushing defeat...) but I thought it merited a mention.
  • Very awesome lecture from Thomas Santos, the Regional English Language Officer. What a pro. All the teachers loved him and he returned our love.
  • Getting a flatscreen TV, DVD player, and home theater system for the American Center! Thanks, U.S. Embassy! (Lowlight: The overall floundering about by the university administration on actually installing the generous gift.)
  • Invitation to smoke hookah next week. Калянь!
  • My oh-so-entertaining colleagues making fun of me and my quest for дополнительные пары (extra lessons so I can meet the requirements for the semester).
  • My student's not-so-smooth attempt to change the subject of the conversation to Lost when we were discussing Tom Sawyer.
  • Talking to Debbie on her birthday!
  • Watching Meet the Parents in class today (on VHS!) instead of discussing "The Gift of the Magi." Hey, it was totally justified! This semester has been hell for everyone, including students. O. Henry can wait.
  • My overall unsuccessful quest to stop speaking "foreigner English" before I get back to America. (I am slowly losing my ability to consistently use correct prepositions.)
  • Purchasing Christmas garland today in order to begin the decoration of the American Center.
Overall, it has been a really hectic week, but I'm starting to feel like this might actually end at some point! It sucks because the day of reckoning (aka final exams) are coming up and students (not to mention professors) are starting to freak out. I just keep trying to remind myself that I only have 6 days left (7 if you count the fact that I'm working on Saturday, but I don't because that's too depressing to even think about).

Countdown to America: 17 days!

2 comments:

  1. I love "Work." Jimmy had a secret show at Modified Arts last night. ::sigh:: Why does all the cool stuff happen when we're thousands of miles away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're studying Turkish? Cool! I am trying to learn Tyvan, which is a Turkic language and mutually intelligible with Turkish. I have a friend here who thinks that Turkic languages actually were invented in Siberia, because there are lots of different ones out here. It's kind of crazy to think about...

    ReplyDelete