Monday, October 5, 2009

Calling Music Buffs!

Since I got so many great suggestions last time, I was thinking I'd send out another all-call for help designing another lesson.

This time, I'd like to demonstrate how an author can create tone and setting. I'd like to use songs again because they are nice and bite-sized for students. Additionally, I think that songs tend to use more conversational language which is more useful for students than the sort of language used in most literature.

For tone, I am thinking that a great example would be "Brick" by Ben Folds Five. Although the subject matter of abortion is controversial (not to mention depressing), I think it will probably translate pretty well to my class. Plus, Ben Folds handles it is a very subtle and non-controversial way, so I think it will be okay. Ben Folds' word and imagery choice is very apt in this song and I think it's fairly easy to understand if you first (a) explain what it is about--I think most people who hear this song initially misinterpret it--and (b) translate some of the more conversational phrases. Still, I'm open to suggestions if anyone thinks they can top "Brick"!

I am also trying to think of a song that conveys a sense of setting. It's harder to find pop songs that are about a place, although a couple come to mind. Unfortunately, they tend to make a lot of allusions that my students won't be at all familiar with. "Why You'd Want to Live Here" by Death Cab does a great job of conveying setting...but it also only makes sense if you are familiar with Los Angeles. I think something like the old standard "New York, New York" might work.

Thoughts?
I was also looking for a song that could convey setting, but it's pretty

No comments:

Post a Comment